Here are some pictures of our back deck (refinished) and patio (new). My birthday present is going to be some patio furniture, so we needed somewhere to put it. Our back deck was already there when we bought the house, but it was in pretty rough shape. It had moss and fungus growing on it and kept on getting worse. It also had built in seating and two grills on it that really decreased the amount of free space. We tore out the uncomfortable seating and moved the grills to their new homes on the patio. I’m not totally happy with the color of the deck, it looks like it was involved in a bad self-tanner accident, but it is an improvement. Maybe the color will mellow after a while. Here are pictures to prove we’ve actually done something!
I had every intention of posting on the 24th. But then I was sick, and hadn’t done anything new, and didn’t feel like it. And then I took a class on making basic pants at the Needle Nook, and I was going to make them again and post them. And then I didn’t get around to it. And then a friend asked me to make some sweats for her son so he can be a bear in the school play. And finally got that done. See?
I also sorted out my patterns again, and reorganized some other things in my sewing room. I finally finished the Simplicity Cardi-wrap. I really like it, so I plan on making more in other colors for this summer. I cut out the shell that goes with it too.
I also started tracing off a Burda pattern and plan to start tracing off a new Vogue pattern. See you in at least ten days!
I finally traced, cut, and put together an entire BWOF pattern! I used it as my entry into the Pattern Review lingerie contest. You can click on the picture to go to my review.
It turned out okay, I wish I was happier with it. The fabric is just a tiny bit too stiff, it doesn’t drape well enough. I have a top cut out to match it, I hope to get it put together this week. I feel quite a bit better today, I hope I’m finally getting over my cold. Happy Valentine’s Day!
So much for new and wondrous things… I don’t know if I can take a picture of the horrible headache I’ve had all day. I got it from breathing in the paint fumes from painting Nathan’s closet, so I will put up pictures of that once it’s finished. I’ve decided if I start some sort of chemical dependency, it won’t be huffing paint. It’s almost like can taste the oil-based Kilz in my mouth.
We did have a really good time on vacation (and my thermals that I made worked great!). If you go skiing, definitely go in the middle of the week. We didn’t stand in line for a ski lift once until Friday. I did have to hike down a mountain at Arapaho Basin. My ski came of while I was going across some moguls, and then the brake didn’t pop out. It went a good 2/3 of the way down the mountain, since I lost it at the top… I mean if I had to lose a ski, why couldn’t it have happened closer to the bottom? Luckily, some people on the ski lift saw it fly by and helped me find it. They said in went by so fast they thought it was an animal of some sort, until the saw me walking down the mountain.
I did finally decide on my entry for the lingerie contest on Pattern Review. Now I have 7 days to get it done… Hopefully I’ll have a picture of the top for you on Wednesday. Wish me luck!
I’ll be out of pocket this week because we’re going on vacation! Hopefully, I’ll post on Sunday with new and wondrous things to show…
I had a really aggravating Sunday. Nathan and I finally got around to putting the wall sconces up in our bedroom. Had them wired in, ready to go, all they needed were light bulbs and their globes. We got the first one on, no problem, but the second one is NOWHERE to be found. I have this sinking feeling I sent it to Goodwill. Then, I was doing laundry this weekend. I have to admit, I let it stack up. Like, two weeks worth of stack up. We have an Electrolux front-load washer and dryer, and I love them. You can cram them full of laundry, and they do great. So I crammed a queen-size mattress pad in, put in the soap, and went on my merry way. Until about fifteen minutes later when Nathan noticed there was foam coming out of the washer. If you guessed that I forgot to buy high-efficiency detergent, you would be correct. So we had a sopping wet, overly foamed mattress pad, and a foamy, leaky washer. We got that all worked out, and I took the mattress pad down to the laundromat to finish washing it, since I didn’t think it would be the best idea to stick it back in the wash. Do you have any idea how much it costs to do laundry at the laundromat? It cost me $4 to wash, and only wash, that silly mattress pad! I didn’t have enough money on me, I thought my $3 would be ample to wash and dry my mattress pad. How naive! I had to borrow a dollar from some random college girls (borrow being the key word… I paid them back and gave them the detergent that caused me all the problems in the first place). Anyhoo, it was quite a day, let me tell you.
I also got some sewing done and set up a few more of my sewing supplies in my sewing room. Clicking on the patterns will take you to their reviews.
Last thing, today I went by The Etcetera Shop (thrift store) while I was waiting for Buddy to get finished at the groomers. I had to browse through their patterns (of course!). I found a couple that I brought home with me, but the funniest/meanest one by far was a Simplicity pattern from 1968. It’s a children’s pattern for a “Girls’ and Chubbies’ Jiffy Dress in Two Lengths.” Ouch! Let’s not sugar coat anything here!
Exciting things are happening! I got my new book Fitting and Pattern Alteration in the mail today (I ordered on Sunday!), the people at Schnittvision finally noticed I sent my payment in last week and decided to send me out my patterns, and I cut out my leggings in smaller size. They fit so much better! Hopefully I get a lot accomplished tomorrow.